Over the past few months, I’ve tweeted daily Conversion Optimization tips, which have been very popular and allowed me to share ideas quickly. Since there seems to be an unending interest in recommendations to improve conversion rates on landing pages and websites, here are 31 of the recent Conversion Optimization tips in under 140 characters each.
Keep in mind that Conversion Optimization tips and “Best Practices” only have limited value and should always be tested in your particular situation. We’ve often tested elements lift conversion rates wonderfully in one situation, only to find that they don’t work at all in another. These tips should not be taken as recommendations, but rather as ideas that you could test.
For even better results, your conversion optimization testing should solve for real conversion problems. You should use the conversion optimization framework to analyze pages and develop hypotheses to test as part of the 7 Step Conversion Optimization System.
With that said, here are…
31 Conversion Optimization Tips to Increase Your Conversion Rate
- Have you tested your Call-to-Action on right vs. left side of the page?
- What are the top 3 components of your Value Proposition? Are they immediately obvious on your landing page?
- Have you tested adding credibility indicators to your website; testimonials, reviews, awards, stats
- Can your landing page be any more specific? Can you drive to a product page instead of category page?
- How can you reduce Distraction on your pages? How many links can you eliminate?
- Improve Clarity with larger product images on your category pages
- How many options does your product have? Can it be reduced to one or two?
- Increase Clarity with high contrast text on white background
- Your customer buys emotionally and defends the purchase rationally. Get her excited.
- You don’t sell features. You sell solutions to problems. Value Proposition is relative.
- Have you tested embedding lead generation forms on the page vs. new page vs. popup form?
- Have you tested swapping right column with left? Worked for BabyAge.com
- Do you have large blocks of white copy on dark background? Try black text on white
- Can you move optional form fields to the Thank You page with additional benefit for filling them?
- Try replacing rotating offer banners with static images and value proposition copy
- Do your images have “action captions”? Include your CTA link
- Do your category pages include relevant & easy filters?
- Have you tested a two-column vs. three-column layout?
- Have you tested removing the navigation bar from landing pages?
- How strong is your CTA scent trail? Your key terms through the funnel should match.
- Do your landing page headlines match the words in your PPC ads?
- Select testimonials to support each product page’s main value proposition points.
- Does your home page offer visitors self-segmentation to increase funnel Relevance?
- Category pages offer huge opportunities. Try list vs grid view.
- Test category images vs. subcategory images on store pages
- Have you tested animation vs. static content. Worked for Hair Club
- Have you tested a Big Orange Button? We call him BOB. He works hard.
- Test a “factual” approach vs. an “emotive”. Worked for Sytropin
- Test Calls to Action; Order Now vs. Get a Quote vs. Instant Quote, etc.
There are many more to come. Follow me on twitter to get them first.
Or, to get your own customized Conversion Optimization tips, you should hire WiderFunnel, the Conversion Rate Experts, to optimize your conversion rate. I will personally be involved, along with our team of strategists, in improving your lead generation, sales and revenue. Contact us for more information and a no-obligation quote.